SERVICE THE POSITION IS FOR: Hospice of Holland
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Business Development
DEPARTMENT: 12 – Admissions
Job Description Summary
Responsible for implementing the patient assessment and admission process and developing, maintaining and enhancing clinical relationships and partnerships with all potential referral sources in the community.
Essential Job Functions
- Determines if the patient meets criteria for admission into the hospice program through means of visual contact, interviewing the patient and family, and obtaining a medical history through one-on-one contact with the patient and chart review, if appropriate.
- Completes the initial assessment of the admissions process to address the immediate care needs of the patient/family.
- Completes admission and transfer process with patients and families including the explaining hospice services, insurance benefits, and completing required paperwork and all required consents as appropriate.
- Provides education and support related to symptom management and the physical aspects of End of Life care for the patient/family/caregiver and/or facility team as appropriate.
- Communicates patient/family/caregiver immediate needs and significant IDG Care Plan issues to patient’s assigned RNCM and on call staff as appropriate.
- Consults with the physician for appropriate orders and assists in obtaining needed supplies, equipment, medications and /or other available services.
- Enters clear, concise and timely documentation related to contacts made during the patient’s initial Hospice admission and assessment.
- Supplies the Director of Business Development with detailed documentation on all aspects of business development activities, such as daily/weekly logs, contact listings, short term goals, etc.
- Assists in on-call holiday admission coverage as needed and according to the clinical liaison holiday schedule.
- Establishes and cultivates relationships with all potential referral sources through routine visits, presentations, educational offerings and contacts.
- Educates referrals sources on Hospice philosophy, clinical policies and procedures, documentation, medication administration, information on specific regulations/insurance related to hospice, levels of care, Medicare Conditions of Participation etc.
- Addresses facility and referral source concerns and performs appropriate service recovery methods to address any concern and to ensure that the customer’s issues are addressed in a timely manner that will improve overall relationships between the organization and the customer.
- Operates within the parameters of Hospice of Holland, state, federal and other regulatory requirements.
- Participates in clinical/community events and long-term relationship building activities as needed.
- Attends department staff meetings and functions as appropriate.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
All employees are required to comply with the policies and procedures of Hospice of Holland, Inc. and with all state, federal, and other regulatory requirements. They also comply with confidentiality laws as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices..
Education and Experience
- Registered Nurse with current licensure to practice nursing in the state.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing with a BSN degree preferred.
- Previous experience in hospice/home care setting.
Skills and Knowledge
- Has excellent nursing skills/judgment and understanding of Hospice philosophy.
- Strong presentation and communication skills ranging from one-on-one to large group settings.
- Strong writing skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills. The ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to work collaboratively with both clinical and non-clinical Hospice Staff.
- Skilled in observing, judging and perceiving the needs of referral sources.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
Building Customer Loyalty — Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Impact — Creating a good first impression, commanding attention and respect, showing an air of confidence.
Quality Orientation ( Attention to Detail) — Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
Managing Work — Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Tenacity — Staying with a position or plan of action until the desired objective is obtained or is no longer reasonably attainable.
Sales Ability/Persuasiveness — Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospective and clients.
Stress Tolerance — Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
The incumbent normally receives little instruction or control on day-to-day work and receives general instructions on new assignments. The employee receives guidance in terms of assignments and objectives. Only the final results of work are typically reviewed. The employee is expected to plan the sequence of detailed steps to accomplish the work using experience and education. The employee is expected to solve through initiative, most problems of detail that come up in the course of work. The employee is expected to be able to interpret policies and guidelines and apply them to routine situations that arise. They are personally responsible for accomplishing prescribed results and objectives, and have considerable freedom while the work is in progress. The employee may provide technical/informational guidance to someone as a content expert.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee is also required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust and focus. The employee may also be required to repeat the same hand, arm or finger motion many times.
- May be exposed to extremes of heat and cold in all weather conditions. Must drive in various weather conditions on roads in varying degrees of repair.
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Handles emergency or crisis situations. Travel required.
Continuing Education Requirements
Hospice personnel are expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, Hospice personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities. Must complete Hospice Orientation Training (HOP) sessions as determined by their supervisor.